Search This Blog

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Grandfathers Pipe

Common Name:
Grandfathers Pipe
Callisia Fragrans
Basket Plant

Light:
Bright

Water:
Moderate

Origins:
Mexico






Grandfather's Pipe (also know as Callisia Fragans) is'nt a very common house plant. It get long stems with green leaves with puprle tint toward the base of the leaves. It gets long runners like spider plants that have babies on the ends. They are easy to propagate jsut break off a baby and put in some water until roots form. Put into a hanging pot and by the end of summer you'll have a decent sized plant. I usually start mine over every summer because they don't look as nice when the main stem gets too long. Don't worry about putting a baby into a 10 inch hanging pot by it's self. It will fill that pot with roots in no time. I just use regular miracle potting soil for mine. I let mine dry a little before watering again. In the summer they don't mind lot of water. They like western exposure best. Any questions just ask.

-Ducky Layne-

8 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 11, 2012

    What can I do to make my plant bloom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother had a piece of this plant in a jar of water for over 15 years and it never grew. Then i had the idea to plant it in soil and it took off. We got lots of offspring which we gave to relatives. I heard that it flowers, but ours never have. Is there a way to get it to flower?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've grown them for about five years now. Mine have never flowered but I start mine over every year to keep them looking nice. I've never heard of them flowering. I'll have to do some research. Sorry it took so long to reply!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54577/ I know this is'nt much help but I can't find anything about getting them to flower. I don't think alot of people have the plant so there's not a ton of info on them unfortunately. It might just be one of those plants that's extremely picky!! If you happen to find the secret to getting thme to flower please let me know. I'll do more research and if I find anything will post it! I appreciate your comments!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found this blog, while looking for some info on this Grandfather's Pipe plant, that a new internet friend is giving me.
    There's lots of nice looking plants here on your blog.
    Are all these yours? I love houseplants, they're awesome.
    I found a plant swap forum.
    Is it ok if I post the link here?
    You can trade for other plants/seeds, or pay postage whichever the plant owner prefers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply. Yea you can post a link. That would be awesome. Yea they are all mine. It's not all I have. I just don't have a camera right now to post more. I probably have around 100 house plants. I will one day have them all on here. lol. Thanks for you comment!

      Delete
  6. Hi Ducky,
    I've just gotten some, and wonder has yours bloomed yet?
    I'm unable to have it in a hanging basket, but will have it a table by the West window.
    The Daves Garden website says it has white flowers, and it originates from Mexico. Awesome.
    It likes full sun to partial shade from what I've read there, so I can put mine either on the back deck which gets full sun, or my front porch which faces North/North East.
    I can't wait until the middle of May next year, so I can put it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply. Mine has never bloomed. I have a huge pot of it now and would love if it flowered!!

      Delete