Search This Blog

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Wax plant

Common Name:
Wax plant

Light:
Brigtht light

Water:
Moderate

Origins:
India and South China












Wax plant is one of my all time favorites. They are kind of slow growers. In the summer time they shoot out new stems from the base of the plant that can get very long. You could plant it in with a small trellis or something for it to wrap around and grow up. If it's close to something it can wrap around and grow up it will. It likes a lot of bright light but not a lot of direct sun. Let it dry out a little bit between waterings but don't let it get completely dry. I let mine get on the dry side then sit it in the sink and soak it. It gets flowers on last years growth in cluster. The flowers are star shaped and come in pink, white, and yellow. Once the flowers fall off the little stem it shoots out for the flowers don't cut it off because it will continue to flower year around on it. It will keep flowering in that spot. It has a pretty strong smelling flower. I don't know how to describe the smell. It makes me think or a spicy floral smell. It's an interesting (I have'nt decided weather I like the smell or not)smell. The flowers are kind of waxy. I have an old variety that came from my great grandma's plant. They live forever and just get better with age. I also have a little varigated one that I bought last summer at a florist shop. It's really an amazing plant. Any questions just ask.

-Ducky Layne-

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ducky,
    I have both of these wax plants, and they do live a long time.
    In summer, I put them on my front porch which faces north, and it grows faster out there then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have mine outside on the front porch starting the middle of May every year. They love the north/northeast light. They vine like crazy. I cut that off, and give those cuttings to friends. I always have some to give away.

    ReplyDelete